I did not post last night as I was having a blitz in the sewing room. I keep promising myself that I will sort everything out and store my very projects and stash appropriately.
I have achieved quite a bit in this room over a period of time but one of the things that always seems too hard is the dressmaking patterns. I bit the bullet yesterday and decided that the majority of the patterns would not be used again – outdated style, wrong size etc. I checked all of the pieces to make sure they were complete and then put them in a bag and they went to the op shop this morning. There are probably still a few that should not have made the cut but they can wait for another day.
With the room a bit clearer I decided to start on my latest project – bags for Miss O and Izz for Christmas. We have bought tickets for them to go to the Wiggles concert but as we all know, 2 and 4 year olds need something to open on Christmas morning.
This is the bag I made for Izz. It truly is a designer original. I think you will agree that you won’t find one like that in the shops. I made the entire bag from scraps. The main fabric is blockout curtain material that I used to make curtains for Miss O’s nursery. The redtrim and tab was a small piece in my stash, the handles are lined with calico and the tab has a velcro fastening.
I have almost finished a summer blouse for myself from fabric I bought over 2 years ago and cut out last summer. I still have to do the binding on the armholes as well as the buttons and buttonholes. Since I do not have any suitable buttons I will go to Lincraft during the week and see what I can find.
Speaking of buttons I did find some in my op shop expedition yesterday. I found these in the jumble in a big basket.
I finished the hand-sewing on the oven mitt and am pleased to report that I used it tonight and the old towel that I used as wadding was very effective in resisting the heat while removing a Pyrex dish from the oven. I have cut out all of the pieces to make 2 more mitts. The one thing worth remembering is that you need 100% cotton fabric when making the oven mitts.