As promised, here is an update on how my sewing from my stash is progressing. This week I have done pretty well, albeit with a couple of hiccups along the way.
This is the polo shirt for The Duke that I started a couple of weeks ago.
I have put the collar on and finished the tab front, however, when he tried it on it is way too big. How did I manage that? I chose the size of a multi-sized pattern based on an existing polo shirt that fits him well. Anyway, now I know. So, it is back to the drawing board with this one. The sizing does not influence the neckline/collar or tab front so I think I should be able to cut it apart along the side, underarm and sleeve seams and recut the pieces to a smaller size while maintaining all of the neckline and collar. Here’s hoping!
In the meantime I decided to make myself another pair of boxer shorts for pyjamas. This was another sizing issue as I could not remember whether I had previously used the medium or large sizing of a multi-sized pattern. I went for the medium and of course I was wrong but all was not lost. I went ahead and completed the boxer shorts and a camisole top and have given them to my sister.
I have now cut out a pair for myself in the correct size but have yet to start sewing them. It is a quick and easy task so I may do that after dinner.
A few weeks ago my mother gave me a book and equipment for making your own custom-sized patterns. It is not for the faint-hearted or novice as there are no real instructions, just an expectation that you are familiar with dressmaking techniques and construction. There is a selection of nearly 300 designs so there are plenty to choose from.
I decided to start with a fairly simple skirt using a piece of navy/white striped seersucker from my stash. Once I had created the pattern I checked it for fit and felt that it would be OK. Today I cut out and made the skirt apart from the zip and finishing the inside of the facing and the hem.
It has loose inverted pleats off a wide, shaped yoke with side pockets and a centre back zip. The fit is absolutely perfect so if the other patterns work similarly, I will be very happy.
I also managed to re-fashion one of The Duke’s long-sleeved business shirts into a short-sleeved one as the cuffs had worn out but the rest of the shirt was still in good condition.
I am not sure what my next project is as I need to finish these first but stayed tuned for more sewing next Sunday.