Sometimes we make things to satisfy a creative urge, save money or simply because we cannot buy the desired item. My most recent sewing definitely falls into the latter category.
Today I made a table runner for the top of the chest of drawers which which GMan uses. I wrote this post a couple of years ago when we had it restored. The top of it had been bare and I had not really thought about adding any linen to it. Lacy doilies would definitely not have been welcome.
I recently found a piece of blue fabric when I was digging around at the op shop for fabric suitable for the Boomerang bags that I make. I realised that it would be perfect to make a table runner.
Some test stitching to find something suitable to embellish the edges.
The finished article.
Pressed and in place.
The new runner provides a finished look to the chest of drawers, blends nicely with the colour in the bedroom and is not in any way frilly or lacy. I think it works perfectly.
I think I would have gone crazy if I had set out to find this ready-made. It needed to be a specific length and colour which I think would have made that quest close to impossible. However, with a relatively basic sewing machine I was able to create exactly what I needed.