In the 6 years that I have been writing this blog there have been numerous posts about mending and repairing clothes to extend their life.
Tonight I want to show you a couple of projects I completed on the weekend.
This was a long-sleeved shirt which was worn at the cuffs. The traditional repair of this problem is ‘turn’ the cuffs, that is, to remove the cuff and replace it with the worn outside to the inside, thus doubling the life of the shirt. Unfortunately, this had worn right on the edge and was visible from both the right and wrong sides. So, I decided on a different course of action as it is a much-loved shirt.
Using an existing short-sleeved shirt as pattern, I re-fashioned it to a short-sleeved shirt.
The excess that was cut off did not go completely to waste, either. I removed the buttons and added them to my stash because, to quote my late father, “you never know when it might come in handy”. I think that growing up in the Great Depression drove much of his thinking in that respect. I do not hoard stuff but I do recognise that some things are likely to have a potential future use. It is all a matter of balance. I also managed to cut 6 x 5″ squares for future patchwork projects.
My next project is a perfect example of when those salvaged bits do actually come in handy. A elastic in a pair of GMan’s shorts had stretched to the point where even the associated drawstring was not sufficient to comfortably keep them up.
I unpicked the stitching and removed the elastic and salvaged the drawstring. I just needed some suitable elastic and I would be able to reconstruct the shorts. I found some that I had kept from some underpants that had worn out! Of course, the fabric from the underpants had ended up in the rag bag.
Here are the shorts with the elastic removed and the drawstring and ‘new’ elastic ready to be re-assembled.
So, thanks to my stash of salvaged elastic the shorts have been repaired and are as good as new at zero cost.