Most of what I post is about a particular project or activity but tonight I thought I would share my Saturday with you. Our weekends are precious and we try to make the most of the time.
I work full-time and have a lengthy commute, so during the week it is usually all I can manage to prepare and eat dinner and make our packed lunches. Sometimes I do the ironing but that is about the limit.
The Duke and I are the only ones at home and many things have been simplified and streamlined.
I woke at 5.30am so I quickly hopped up and put a load of washing on. I am trying to be more diligent about using power before sunrise and after sunset. This means we maximise the benefit of the solar panels by exporting to the grid at 50c/kWh and using it (at night) for 28c/kWh.
Once the washing was on I crawled back into bed and read my book for an hour. Then it was time to be up and going.
Breakfast eaten, dishes done and washing hung out. The Duke put a loaf of bread on to bake in the breadmaker. The bed stripped and remade. A second load of washing sorted and ready to wash this evening. Handwashing done.
Floors swept, vanity and mirror cleaned. While I am doing these jobs, The Duke is sorting out finances and adjusting the budget.
That is enough housework for the day so it is time to head outdoors on this gorgeous autumn day to work on some of our projects. It is not quite 9am.
At least one of the chickens has been doing a fine imitation of Houdini recently so we need to make some repairs to the chicken run to make sure they are contained. We use some tent pegs to anchor some of the wire to the ground so hopefully that problem is sorted.
In January The Duke and my brother-in-law replaced a large portion of our front boundary fence. We also put new wire along the front of the house below the verandah. This was not finished off and tensioned and it has been a source of much debate as to exactly how we would do it. A few weeks ago, The Duke painted some timber which he attached to the metal posts at each end so that we could secure the wire. Today we tensioned the wire and attached it to the posts.
We also needed to find a solution to securing from the end of the wire to the wall of the workshop and had decided that we would construct a concrete block wall and then top it with a piece of timber lattice.
The Duke painted the lattice last weekend. We had also poured the first part of the concrete footing for the block wall.
Today we laid the first few blocks. It is quite a challenge working in a confined space so we will be very glad when it is done. We are certainly not giving up our day jobs but I am very happy with what we have achieved so far. Once the wall is built to level at the left-hand end in the photo, we will place the lattice on top of the wall and secure it at both ends.
I have been working on the design and plans for our vegetable garden fencing and a new chicken run adjacent to the garden. This afternoon we marked out the position of the corner posts and discussed the location of the hen house. We also checked how many posts we already have and it looks as though we will only have to buy a few more. These are mostly the longer ones which we need for the higher fencing around the chicken run.
Once the sun had set I put on the load of washing I sorted this morning. Then it was time for a shower, prepare dinner and watch Gardening Australia (my inspiration). I checked the solar inverter – the panels generated 19kWh today. That is pretty good when it is only a little over 6 weeks until the shortest day of the year.
Dinner was eaten, washing hung out and the final load put in the machine.
The last load of washing is finished and once I finish this post I will hang it out. I use the clothesline under the verandah so it is safe and easy to access at night.
It has been a full and productive day. I am happily exhausted and will enjoy a good night’s sleep.
I hope you had a good day and I am looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow.