As promised here is another of the things I have been working on.
On one of my many attempts to sort/tidy/declutter my sewing room I found some offcuts of material. It is calico with blue teddy bears. I also had some plain calico.
With no-one particular in mind I decided to make a quilt. I discovered that I could make enough blocks to make a cot quilt if I added some plain navy blocks.
The batting and backing were added and the quilting was a simple ‘stitch in the ditch’ where the blocks were joined.
Then it just sat waiting to be bound and finished. I finally got inspired and completed the quilt. Handsewing the binding took a little time but I set myself a goal to get it done and here is the finished product.
I am planning to send it to a friend whose patchwork group are busily making quilts for those who lost their homes in the recent NSW bushfires. I hope it will help a family in need.
I am very gradually decluttering my sewing room. It is a gradual process because I do not want to get rid of stuff but rather to use it up. I plan to make things from the fabric that I have and donate them through various avenues so that others can benefit.
That’s a lovely quilt – someone will be very happy to receive it. What a great gesture.
Thanks, Heidi. I was really pleased with how it turned out. I know it will keep someone snug and warm – it was a pleasure to have it draped over me knees while doing the handstitching. 🙂