Today I made a garden bed, or more accurately refreshed an old one. Unlike most of my gardening posts this one does not include growing food.
This is an area between the side of the garage and the front steps which originally had a selection of fairly unappealing shrubs and plants. They had been cleared out some time ago and the space badly needed revitalising. I did have a before photo, however, it is on the desktop computer which seems to have some issues so I took it to be looked at/repaired today.
We bought the plants at a local garden centre on the weekend. They are Australian natives – low-growing shrubs and ground covers. The area has quite a considerable slope so I move some more rocks to build up the edges to prevent the mulch washing away in the first heavy shower of rain. We were lucky to be offered a large pile of mulch by our neighbours who had several large trees lopped and mulched. We moved 3 loads in the back of the ute last weekend so some of it was used on this garden with several layers of newspaper underneath to help suppress any weeds.
I thought we may have had some rain late this afternoon as the storm clouds were building rapidly and the thunder was rumbling in the distance as I put the finishing touches to my new garden.
The threatening weather dissipated quickly and we have been left with a warm, humid night.