Dressmaking can be a challenge when trying to get a perfect fit. One of the best methods I know is to disassemble a garment which you love and fits well and then use the pieces to make a customised pattern. I did this several years ago with a sleeveless, collared shirt and have made numerous shirts from the pattern. Here are a couple of examples.
This time it was the turn of my white cropped pants which I have had for about 9 years. They are starting to get a bit thin in places.
I generally use non iron-on interfacing for tracing the pattern. It is reasonably sturdy and stands up to repeated uses. However, on Sunday I discovered that I did not have any left so I had to think laterally. I had a scramble through my stash and found several large pieces which had been part of a donation to Boomerang Bags but were not suitable. The fabric is medium-weight, cream synthetic with no stretch so I decided to use it for the pattern pieces which worked perfectly. It was easy to add markings and instructions, too.
This is the fabric that I had earmarked for my first attempt with the pattern. About 3 metres of a medium-weight cotton drill that I had bought last year for $4 at the local Salvos thrift shop.
I am very pleased with the result.
The only variation I made from the original was not to add belt loops. I never wear a belt with these pants and the absence of the loops makes for a smoother silhouette.
I call them my ladybird pants and you certainly won’t lose me in a crowd when wearing these.
I have a black, fitted t-shirt which I will be able to wear with them and I plan to make a black linen shirt using the pattern I mentioned at the beginning of this post.
Now that I am happy with the construction and fit of these pants, I am working on a pair of lightweight dark navy linen ones. They will be full-length rather than cropped.
I have several sewing projects underway or planned and I will show you more in future blog posts.