Destruction Day

2 Comments

Since we are both working full-time it is a challenge to get a great deal done in the garden.  Basic maintenance such as lawn mowing and keeping the vegetable garden in some sort of order takes most of the available time on the weekend.

Autumn is finally creeping up on us and the lawn growth has slowed somewhat so GMan has a bit more time.  So, a long weekend which offered 3 available days was a great opportunity to make a start on a big project that we have been planning for a number of years.

2016-04-24 01

It was a beautiful autumn morning so I quickly took this photo before we started.

This is the result of GMan with a chainsaw (and me helping).

2016-04-24 02

It was late in the afternoon by the time I took this photo so I apologise for the lack of clarity.

Whilst the area in the first photo looks beautifully lush and green, it was an overgrown mess of multi-trunked trees which were all entwined as well as a couple of dozen self-sown avocado trees.  These had come from avocadoes that had fallen from the main tree further up the embankment.  The large eucalypt in the centre of the photo was completely hidden by all of the rubbishy vegetation around it but now we can see that is a beautiful tree.

The next step will be to clear and mulch all of the cleared vegetation and then work on replanting the area with more appropriate species.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they can improve and this is definitely one such instance.

Ashes to Ashes, Branches to Mulch

6 Comments

We collect all of the fallen branches on our land for firewood, so today The Duke spent some time cutting up some more logs that were stacked and waiting to be cut.

Here are some of them cut and waiting to be stacked in the woodshed.

Firewood
The mulcher which you can also see in the photograph also got a workout as we mulched several piles of smaller branches as well as some palm fronds and rotting branches.  As always, nothing is wasted so some of the mulch was added to one of the raised garden beds that we are filling and the rest will be spread under the native shrubs which are planted along part of the front boundary.  The mulch keeps the weeds mostly under control.

Piles of mulch
Next, we headed over to the area near the vegetable gardens.  There was more debris to mulch, including the remnants of the corn stalks.

More mulching
While the Duke and Psycho Dog were hard at work, I turned my attention to the new garden bed I built yesterday.  I needed a bit more mulch and soil to fill it up and then I planted some Purple King climbing beans and radishes.

Garden bed
It is along the outside of the chicken run so the fence will provide an excellent trellis for the beans.  I grew these beans a few months ago and had an absolutely fantastic crop so decided to grow them again.  I added a couple of star pickets and some wire to enclose the bed so that the chickens cannot dig it up when they are free-ranging.  I was just putting the finishing touches to the wire surround as the first drops of rain fell late this afternoon.  We had a tremendous thunderstorm with some huge bolts of lightening very close by but were lucky not to lose power.

Finally, just to prove that our garden is decorative as well as functional, here is a photo of the roses flowering in the front garden.

Roses
Tonight I am going to make some decisions about my 33 items for the round of Project 333 which began on April 1st.  I have kept track of what I have worn so far this month and will include them in the tally.  I hope to share the details of my choices with you tomorrow.