Old News

Leave a comment

While I have been sorting through the blog photos, I have come across some that I took to use in blog posts that never eventuated.  Maybe it was because something more exciting came up or I simply did not get around to it.

Anyway, here are some that were sitting in a folder just waiting for the story to be written.

2015-03-17 01I noticed these small holes just below the collar on one of The Duke’s polo shirts.  It was where the label was stitched on and it was beginning to tear away as there was only a single layer of fabric and no facing.  2015-03-17 02

I carefully unpicked the label.

2015-03-17 03The next step was to iron a small piece of fusible interfacing to the wrong side.  This helps to reinforce the fabric.

2015-03-17 04I then stitched over the holes using a zigzag stitch.  The thread was a close match and the mend is barely visible.  It is certainly an improvement on the holes that were there.

2015-03-17 05Finally, I trimmed the interfacing back close to the stitching and the repair was complete.

In future, I think I will remove any labels that are on a single layer of fabric when the garment is new to avoid this happening.

Oh, and you may have noticed that ‘The Duke’ still exists.  Thank you for your suggestions and I have have come up with a couple but none of them really captured his imagination so I will ponder a bit more.  It is enough of a challenge to change once but I do not want to find myself in the same position in the future.

Sewing My Stash Sunday – 2

6 Comments

I don’t usually get much sewing done during the week and it took until this afternoon before I did any.  I was determined to achieve something as part of this challenge so here it is.

003I have made a start on a polo shirt for The Duke.  I bought the fabric about 14 years ago for this project and it never got made.  I have made the tab front, stitched the shoulder seams and done one sleeve and side/underarm seam.  I had not done a tab front for well over 10 years, but like riding a bike, you never forget.

004With striped fabric it is important to match the stripes.  You can see the matching on the tab front in the picture above and the side seam in the following picture.  It is impossible to match the stripes with a set-in sleeve due to the shaping.

005Next week I hope to show you the completed polo shirt and what I am doing next.  It feels good to know that I am using up materials that have been hanging around for years.

UFO’s No More

Leave a comment

UFO = Unfinished Object

This particularly relates to sewing and craft items in most cases.

I am not overwhelmed by fabric but I do have some on hand.  Several pieces are earmarked for specific projects but my problem is that I can plan and design faster than I can sew!

One of my goals for this year is to whittle the pile down a bit more and create some useful items in the process.  I am fortunate that several friends have generously given me fabric which they are unable to use.  Some of it has been substantial pieces rather than offcuts or scraps.

Towards the end of last year I was given some which included a piece of white embroidered lawn and I immediately decided to make a blouse for myself.  I made it yesterday and finished off the hems, buttons and buttonholes this morning.

2015-01-03 01The only cost was $2.75 for the 5 buttons.

I plan to wear it with this skirt.

2015-01-03 02The outfit will be a cool and comfortable option for work during the hot weather.

I have made 7 or 8 blouses from this particular pattern in the last 6 years.  It was originally cut from a blouse I had purchased that was worn out so I deconstructed it to make the pattern.  The benefit of using an existing garment is that you know that it will be a perfect fit.

On to the next project.

2015-01-03 03

This is a piece of rugby knit fabric which I bought to make a polo shirt for The Duke but it was never done – until now.  The fabric and collar have been tucked away for close to 20 years.  It is a while since I have made a polo shirt so I will have to refresh my skills a bit.

I am looking forward to moving some of these older projects along and created finished garments.