Old News

Leave a comment

While I have been sorting through the blog photos, I have come across some that I took to use in blog posts that never eventuated.  Maybe it was because something more exciting came up or I simply did not get around to it.

Anyway, here are some that were sitting in a folder just waiting for the story to be written.

2015-03-17 01I noticed these small holes just below the collar on one of The Duke’s polo shirts.  It was where the label was stitched on and it was beginning to tear away as there was only a single layer of fabric and no facing.  2015-03-17 02

I carefully unpicked the label.

2015-03-17 03The next step was to iron a small piece of fusible interfacing to the wrong side.  This helps to reinforce the fabric.

2015-03-17 04I then stitched over the holes using a zigzag stitch.  The thread was a close match and the mend is barely visible.  It is certainly an improvement on the holes that were there.

2015-03-17 05Finally, I trimmed the interfacing back close to the stitching and the repair was complete.

In future, I think I will remove any labels that are on a single layer of fabric when the garment is new to avoid this happening.

Oh, and you may have noticed that ‘The Duke’ still exists.  Thank you for your suggestions and I have have come up with a couple but none of them really captured his imagination so I will ponder a bit more.  It is enough of a challenge to change once but I do not want to find myself in the same position in the future.

Hello Again

Leave a comment

I think I am finally back on track and hope to have regular blog posts for you most days.  I have finally caught up and replied to all of your comments.  There has been a lot going on and I am working on a few different projects as well as the routine stuff and a full-time job.

Since I buy a large percentage of my groceries from bulk bins and bring it home in reusable bags, I decant it all into sealed containers in the pantry.  Even though it is all in reused jars I like the idea of having matching containers.  In order to achieve this I have tried to limit myself to just a couple of different jars and I am quite pleased with how it looks.  The labelling has been a bit hit and miss though.  The Duke finds it a bit intriguing that the raw sugar lived in a jar labelled ‘Quinoa Flakes’ and so on.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been working on improving the labelling.  The catalyst was the fact that we will have housesitters staying here while we are on holidays in a couple of months.

I have not finished it completely but enough is done to give you an idea.

Pantry storage
I have also labelled the spray bottles in the laundry that have pre-wash spray, diluted clove oil and window cleaner in them.

It amazing what we just accept as the norm in our own homes but it is an interesting exercise to stop and think about how a stranger would view your ‘systems’.