I recently mended a cotton blanket which was wearing out. It must be close to 20 years old and it would have been very easy to simply buy another one but I decided that was unnecessary.
This is what the top edge looked like.
However, the bottom edge was pristine.
So, I removed the satin binding from the top edge and unpicked the hem at the other end. Then I bound the bottom edge using the salvaged satin binding.
Here is the result. It looks as good as new.
Sadly, the previous top edge was in a rather sad state.
I contemplated cutting the damaged part off and then re-doing the hem. This would mean the loss of some length so I was not keen on that solution. Instead, I used some fabric from an old sheet to make a wide binding that covered the damaged part while still maintaining the original length of the blanket.
The colour blends in nicely and it will mostly be tucked in at the foot of the bed.
I was very happy with the repair and hope that the blanket will last for many years to come.