I mentioned in yesterday’s post that I had set the apple peels and cores aside for another project.
In the interests of wasting nothing, I am experimenting with making apple cider vinegar. I read and consulted several online recipes before deciding on the exact method to use.
But first I needed some suitable fabric to cover the jars. I found a scrap of white linen from which to cut circles and I overlocked the edges.
The peels and cores were packed into the glass jars, covered with water and sugar added. The covers are held in place with rubber bands. I labelled them with the details and they are now residing in a rarely-opened cupboard above the oven.
The apples were organic so pesticide residue is not an issue.
Tonight I found this blog post which has recently been updated and indicates that what I am making should be correctly called Apple Scrap Vinegar.
I will let you know how the experiment turns out in a couple of months.