Many of the projects we have worked on here have taken a considerable length of time to achieve. Sometimes it is the planning, sometimes the money or resources and others are simply a matter of time and competing priorities.
It is almost 15 years since we moved here and growing some of our own vegetables was an early goal. Although we have 1.5 acres of land, much of it is unsuitable for vegetable gardening – too steep or flood-prone so we identified an area close to the house as the spot for our future vegetable gardens. It was all grassed so the first version looked like this.
The soil is excellent and our efforts were reasonably successful, however, we had a somewhat grander plan.
Early in 2011 we built the first raised garden bed. The plan allowed for 9 beds eventually.
Still just one raised bed as we needed to source more suitable uprights.
Progress and by late in 2012 there were 3 raised garden beds. The star pickets on the left of the photo show the position of the next ones to be made.
In reality, 3 beds was probably plenty for us to manage while we were working fulltime but our agenda was long-term.
By the end of 2016 the plan was definitely coming together. We had 6 raised garden beds and woodchip mulch to create paths and suppress the weed and grass growth. The area was also fully fenced.
Late 2017 shows further development but no more garden beds.
The last 6 months or so have provided plenty of opportunity for working on projects at home and thanks to scoring some additional secondhand Colorbond we have finally finished the last of the garden beds.
There are 9 nine beds as per the original plan. We will be buying some soil for the last 3 and also to top up the soil in the others. The woodchip mulching of the paths also needs to be extended to include the areas around the new garden beds.
Then it will be time to get planting. I hope the predicted rain arrives in the next couple of weeks.
All of this has been achieved with salvaged, secondhand and excess materials.
That’s a really nice looking layout. Sometimes, when a project takes longer than expected, it’s actually a good thing because revisions can be made as you see what works and what doesn’t. You’ll have lots of growing space now!