I have a squeezy mop with a foam head which I have owned for a number of years. I use it relatively infrequently as sometimes I find that getting down on my hands and knees and washing the floor is the best option. Nevertheless, the foam head really needed replacing but of course the matching size did not appear to be available. This would have entailed buying an entire new mop which I find objectionable – both for the unnecessary cost and waste.
So, I bought a jumbo sponge for the princely sum of $1.90 and set about replacing the sponge. The first step was to remove the plastic backing pieces from the existing head. These are used to attach it to the mop. I scraped most of the glue off it.
The new sponge was quite thick so I sliced it in half to have enough for 2 replacement sponge heads. Then I used the old sponge as template to trim the sponge to the correct size.
This is the glue which I chose to use to attach the plastic backing plates to the new sponge. I have not used it before but it was easy to handle and worked well.
I marked the position of the the backing plate, applied the glue and gently clamped it for a couple of hours.
After 24 hours I checked the position for the second backing plate and repeated the procedure.
Once the glue was thoroughly set I replaced it on the mop and put it to use.
The new mop head is working successfully.