A few months ago I wrote about mending my mop. You can read about it here.
Well, I have made another modification or addition to increase its versatility.
We have a large expanse of timber decking which we recently had revarnished. It can get quite dusty so I wanted to mop it. However, I was not keen to destroy the sponge head which I use for the hard floors indoors.
So, I set about making a removable cover. This is a piece of old towel from my stash of rags which live in the cupboard below the laundry tub. I actually remember this as my father’s beach towel about 50 years ago.
Using the mop head as a template I cut a piece of towel and mitred the corners.
I checked to see that it fitted before trimming the excess and finishing the raw edges.
On the mop.
I obviously needed to keep it in place so I sewed some salvaged elastic inside the edge to draw it over the mop head.
The addition of a couple of ties to fully secure the cover in place.
Ready to go.
The end result.
I was pleased to be able to create a solution using salvaged materials that I had on hand. I addition to the old beach towel I used elastic retrieved from worn out underwear and the ties were from a long ago pair of trousers that had worn out.
The cover cannot easily be squeezed out so it is not suitable for indoor use but is perfect for washing down the verandah floor.
That is a brilliant idea and even better using what you had on hand to make the cover. Clever lassie!