First of all, here is an update on the things I am not writing about.
Sewing My Stash Sunday is not happening this week because I simply have not done any sewing.
War on Weeds Update – I am glad I didn’t rush out and buy a heap of vinegar because although the leaves definitely wilted and browned off somewhat the weeds are certainly not dead. I think this would be ideal for liquid weeding the edges of paths and between pavers or even for random weeds that survive the heavy mulching that we generally do when the garden areas are completed. However, it is simply not heavy-duty enough for the widespread weeds that are well-established. Back to the drawing board or more importantly the gardening gloves and get on with pulling out the weeds and getting this particular garden bed established with more shrubs and lots of mulch to naturally suppress the weeds.
On to the focus of this blog post – our bedroom. I decided to seriously clean the bedroom and while it is not completely finished, I did get the wardrobe doors and the 2 large windows cleaned.
The wardrobe was built almost 6 years ago and I must confess that the doors have never been cleaned. There were a few insect spots as well as some fingerprints and some small patches of mould on the off-white vinyl-finish doors. I cleaned the doors using a damp cloth and some of my home-made cream cleanser. The most difficult part was rinsing it off as I could not splash water everywhere due to the carpet on the floor. I finished it off by cleaning all of the metal surrounds as well as the tracks. I do the tracks every few months as they get really grubby. All of the shoes were removed, the carpet in the wardrobe vacuumed and shoes replaced. I have more shoes than I really need but I did not discard any as they all have a purpose and are worn, albeit, some not terribly often.
The other task was an even bigger undertaking. I dislike cleaning windows at the best of times but the two on the side of our bedroom really do my head in. The accumulated dirt and cobwebs made these unsightly and since we have no curtains, that is the view I wake up to each and every morning. They are sliding windows with Crimsafe screens. This is not so much for security to stop intruders but to prevent anyone falling out through a normal flyscreen as there is no verandah on this side and it is quite highset. I can remove the sliding panel of glass and clean that but I have no way of cleaning the outside of the fixed panel nor the screen apart from washing it from the outside. Due to the height this entails assembling the scaffolding that we have and using the Gerni to blast the window and screen from the outside. I did these 2 windows as well as the screen on a small panel of louvres at the top of the stairs and the window in the sewing room which has the same outlook.
These two jobs took the best part of the day but I also managed to vacuum the cornices to remove any cobwebs as well as vacuuming the carpet.
The things which didn’t get done were the window above the bed which is easy because it is over the verandah, dusting and polishing my dressing table and cleaning the light fittings. All of those will need to wait for another day.