It is hard to believe that it is almost 3 months since I wrote this post about my new labeller. Although that post was about labelling the small drawers in my sewing room, if I am really honest, my main motivation was so that I could re-organise my pantry and label everything.
Unfortunately, the labeller has languished in the cupboard while the state of the pantry went steadily downhill. Until yesterday. The thing that finally prompted me was the arrival of some more Mason jars that I had ordered online. They would not fit in the cupboard as it stood so this required some major re-thinking.
I am really very fortunate to have plenty of storage space so it was simply a matter of utilising it better. I have a large corner pantry as well as a floor-to-ceiling cupboard on the other side of the refrigerator. There had previously been a mix of both food and other items in both cupboards so the first step was to remove the remaining foodstuffs (mostly canned goods and jars) from the cupboard.
I did not take any before photos as I launched into this endeavour early yesterday morning without a specific plan.
This is the cupboard once I had finished it.
The top shelf is pretty much as it was with the Soda Stream, Easiyo, bucket with spare gas cylinder and Soda Stream bottles and pasta attachments for my KitchenAid mixer. The pasta attachments were previously in the corner pantry.
The second shelf has 2 plastic tubs of glass jars and bottles which I use for storing juice and homemade sauces. I have culled these considerably over a period of time as I have invested in more Mason jars. In fact, I was able to swap them from a large and medium tub to a medium and small tub and move them from the top shelf of the corner pantry to this shelf which means they are much more accessible. The large plastic tub fits neatly in the bottom of one side of the wardrobe in the sewing room so I will utilise it there. But first, I have to finish the cupboard and the corner pantry.
The third shelf is various sizes of Mason and Weck jars with some spare lids and bands as well as a pair of lifting tongs from my most recent order. These will make retrieving jars from the hot water bath much safer and easier.
The bottom shelf is 4 buckets of bread flour – 2 white, 1 wholemeal and 1 rye. This is GMan’s domain as he amkes the bread.
The corner pantry is still a work in progress but more about that tomorrow.