A few weeks ago I wrote this post about our plans to develop and use the space under our house.
We have made some progress by planting out the Devil’s Ivy in the hanging baskets.
Here is a closer view of one of the pots.
We hope that it grows as rampantly as it does in the shaded area in the garden from where we collected these cuttings. They all appear to be healthy and sending out new growth already.
I can already envisage our green wall.
In other news, we cleaned most of the exterior walls of the house the other day. Naturally, this entailed moving various items from the verandah and encouraged me to rethink why some of them were in their current locations.
The BBQ and terracotta chimney were both on the western verandah near the clostheline, yet in reality, this is not the spot where they are likely to be used.
They are now both downstairs and in a much better position to be utilised.
We have had a bit of hot weather with more predicted over the coming days and out hanging chairs are definitely a winner in the cool area under the house.
Like many homes in Queensland, our house is high-set with plenty of space ‘under the house’. Part of this area is occupied by the double garage and a workshop area which is connected to the main part of the house via an internal staircase.
When we moved here the remaining area was simply dirt. Due to the sloping site, the majority has plenty of clearance while the area under the front verandah is only suitable for hobbits. About 10 years ago we had the usable area concreted with a view to creating an alternative summer relaxation/entertaining area. The concrete floor, ground level site and southerly aspect all combine to create the coolest possible location on hot days.
The plans have been rolling around for a number of years but we are finally starting to make some real progress.
We finally hung these chairs up yesterday and I am already getting quite used to the idea of reclining here and whiling away the time.
We bought them years ago and did hang them for a while but had to remove them from their original positions when the fluorescent light were installed. Debate about what sort of fixings were required led to inertia and no action until the other day when we decided to have another look for something suitable.
These swing mountings looked perfect and seem to be doing the job admirably as the 2 bolts go right through the joist.
One of the problems of creating an entertaining area was the bracing between some of the posts could be a hazard to people. We came up with the idea of having a ‘green wall’ which would minimise any risk of people walking into the metal bracing.
There were a number of hanging baskets here so we bought 4 new ones to supplement them as well as some chain and hooks.
The pots are still empty but we have hung them to gauge the best positions and are happy with this arrangement. The next step will be to fill them with some of the potting mix we bought on Saturday and get some plants into them. I am going to use Devil’s Ivy/Pothos which we have growing in abundance in the shaded areas at the rear of our garden. It is easy to propogate and should quickly achieve the effect we hope to create.
Well, I had a couple of days off from blogging as we have been out and about. Yesterday WordPress decided it did not want to play the game when I tried to write this post. However, all seems to be well again and I am back in business.
Over the last couple of days we have purchased some materials and equipment for the next DIY project.
For a number of years we have talked about creating a defined entertaining area under our high-set house. When we first moved here over 14 years ago, this area was simply sloping dirt which was of absolutely no use and merely contributed to the dirt and dust which made its way into the house. So, we had the area concreted , albeit on a couple of levels. Since then it has really been a storage area for materials collected for future projects as well as overflow from the workshop area. We had decided that the best approach was to screen off an area for casual entertaining using battens and the remainder could still be used for storage. After literally years of discussion and refinements of the design we are ready to begin.
Initially, we planned to use salvaged hardwood for the rails but realised that we could not source enough timber of consistent dimensions that was straight and true so we opted for new timber from Bunnings in this instance. After carefully measuring and calculating our requirements we bought the necessary lengths whilst ensuring the minimum amount of waste.
The other major requirement for this project which GMan had identified was a saw which would make a quick and accurate cut. There were 21 rails to be cut plus approximately 170 (yet to be purchased) battens. He decided on this mitre saw and stand.
The rails were cut to length in no time and are now ready to be painted. We also need to sand and paint the rusted steel posts before attaching the rails.
This is clearly not a job which will be done in a week but we are confident that our planning and preparation will ensure the success of the end result.
I am looking forward to being able to use the entertainment area during the summer as our summers are becoming increasingly hotter and this area is definitely the coolest place in the house.